Workshop: Learning Science and its Implementation in the classroom
Date: Thursday, January 16, 2020
Time: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Location: Stokes 205
- Hiroyo Saito, Director of the Instructional Technology Services, IITS
- Liz Evans, Director, LACOL (Liberal Arts Collaborative for Digital Innovation)
In this workshop, you will learn about research that backs up effective learning strategies including retrieval practice, spacing, and interleaving. In the process of learning, you will be engaged in some active learning practices: reflection, think-pair-share, discussion, and retrieval practice. As a group, we will create a list of practical ideas (both analog and digital) to implement those evidence-based strategies in your own teaching and learning.
Workshop Learning Outcomes:
- Describe three main learning strategies based on Learning Science: retrieval practice, spacing, and interleaving
- Describe the research that backs up those strategies
- Apply those learning strategies in your own learning and teaching environment.
Some books that will be referenced during the workshop:
- Powerful Teaching: Unleash the Science of Learning
- Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning
- Small Teaching: Everyday Lessons from the Science of Learning
- Understanding How We Learn
If you are interested in joining in the events, please register online in advance.
We hope you can join us!
All the best,